There is a good news for the anglers as the summer is round the corner, best fly fishing reels are now available in affordable prices. For maximum catch, effortless angling and to fish all day long, flying reel is an important equipment and gear. These mechanical little gears are essential as they help anglers hold, release and retrieve the line. Basically, with the help of these reels the retrieval part becomes easy and convenient.
There are various types of flying reels in the market with some being extremely expensive but not productive enough. This guide is to help you pick the top fly fishing reels for the money that fit your need and fall within budget. The experienced anglers mostly know the kind of reels that suits their requirement but for the first timers, it is difficult to select wisely.
*Below, you’ll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Flying Reel Mechanism
Most of the flying fish reels have some common features that help in retrieving the line and maximize catch. While fishing there are chances that the fish pulls off the complete line from the spool but the handle attached to spool on the reel prevents the fish from doing so. However, there are three specific mechanisms using which the fly reel is operated.
- Single Action Reel – It is popular and mostly used mechanism for operating the fly fish reel because it is easy to operate. The turn on the spool is determined by handle turn and with each turn on handle the spool gets to see a complete turn. They are mostly used for fishing in river, streams, lakes etc.
- Multiplying Retrieval System – In the multiple retrieval systems, picking up the line is easy. As an individual turning the fly reel handle once is equivalent to two or three turns on the spool. This helps in quick lining and is best suitable for saltwater or lake fishing.
- Automatic Reel – In this type of reel mechanism, changing the spool is little tricky and the reel can retrieve the line even without turning the spool. When the reel is being used, the trigger in reel zips back the fly line. It is great for fishing in saltwater or freshwater bodies.
Types Of Fly Fishing Reels
Depending on one’s need and requirement, the reels are basically designed into three types of reels. The arbor size varies for setting the line and for picking up the line. Hence, the flying reels are designed into three major types:
- Standard Arbor – The efficiency and time taken to pick up the line using such arbor is not very quick and need some reloading. The standard reels are generally light in weight and better for beginners. They are traditional type of fishing reel and not of much use.
- Medium Arbor – They fall somewhere between standard and large arbor reel and gives good line picking. It is the safest option to invest in for most of the fishermen.
- Large Arbor – It allows lining reel at faster rate and quickly with one major downside of adding weight to the reel. Most of the arbor is made of aluminum and although little bulky, it gives great lining.
Top 4 Best Fly Fishing Reels On The Market 2018
The fly fishing reel from Piscifun is designed using CNC machined aluminum alloy and boast high quality performance. It is a mid-arbor design fishing reel that minimizes line memory and ensures quick and instant line pick up. The fishing feels with its stainless steel drag and multi-cork disc has smooth retrieval. It is treated efficiently and tempered and is made of aluminum alloy that imparts its corrosion resistant properties.
It is resistant to abrasion due to the hard anodizing treatment. It is easy to change the retrieve and is great for catching wide range of freshwater and saltwater fishes. It is easy to maintain the reel and all it needs is rinsing in fresh water post using it in saltwater for longer life.
- Mid arbor design that facilitates quick line pick up and reduces the line memory allowing easy retrieval.
- Stainless-steel drag system along with one way clutch that ensures smooth drag and silent retrieve.
- Durable, sturdy and high-end design made of CNC machined 6061-T6 aluminum alloy which makes the overall reel lighter.
- Aluminum alloy body makes it resistant to corrosion and its abrasion resistance is enhanced by hard anodizing treatment.
- One way clutch and split spring make the retrieve easily changeable.
- Drag adjustment is slightly difficult to get to the right settings.
- More comfortable for left handed retrieval as compared to right hand.
The fly fishing reels from Piscifun Aoka is exquisitely designed with aluminum body and integrated with cork disc drag system. They are excellent value for money fish reels and have mid-arbor design that minimizes line memory and aids in quick, instant pick up. The Teflon drag system ensures smooth drag with help of click drag and ensures silent retrieval. The frame of the reel is strong, full machined and has to die cast spool. It has stylish appearance with oversize handle.
- Strong, sturdy and exquisite look with fully machined frame along with oversized handle and die cast spool.
- Includes cork or Teflon drag system for smooth drag aided with one way clutch.
- Line memory is reduced and ensures instant, quick line pick up with mid arbor design.
- Integrated with click drag and silent retrieve with quick and efficient spool release.
- Covers three years of warranty from the manufacturers.
- Spool release button is secured and held firmly with two screws.
- Factory settings done for left hand retrieval and making changes is a hassle.
- Extremely smooth drag but the right adjustment is needed for smooth operation.
The stylish and exquisite fly fishing reel is precise CNC machined made of aluminum alloy. The frame is sturdy, strong, lightweight and dismantling are easy. It is a mid-arbor design that helps in precision casting and enables quick picking up of line. The flying fish reel boasts of zero deviation without side play and has tight tolerances.
It has ergonomic reel handle for comfortable movement and has 0.04 inch interspace. It is resistant to corrosion with its aluminum frame and surface is protected with hard anodize. The stainless steel drag ensures smooth drag with click drag design and this ensures a silent but smooth retrieve.
- The flying fish reel is made of strong and sturdy CNC machined aluminum alloy imparting greater durability.
- Mid arbor design ensures greater strength and easy line pick up.
- It facilitates zero deviation with no side play, no wobble and tight tolerances.
- Reel handle is ergonomically designed for utmost comfort, flying reel is lightweight and easily disassemble.
- Multi-disc cork along with stainless steel drag that ensures silky smooth drag with silent retrieve.
- Resistant to corrosion aluminum frame and abrasion resistant with surface protected via hard anodizing.
- Easy maintenance and cleaning simply need dip in fresh and clean water.
- Easily changeable from left to right hand retrieve by metal screw caps aided for loosening of spool.
- Designed for left hand retrieval and conversion needed for making it right handed.
4. Fiblink Large Arbor 2 + 1 BB Fly Fishing Reels - Best Saltwater Fly Fishing Reel
The Fiblink fly fishing reel is strong, durable and integrated with sturdy frame with the help of CNC machined body made of aluminum alloy. The aluminum used in its construction is of premium grade making it resistant to corrosion and is constructed with cold forge. It has fiber composite drag system that gives flexibility to stretch the system to dedicated limit.
The aluminum construction makes it lightweight and gives a great strength to weight ratio. It is a high arbor design that vouches for higher line retrievals along with less stacking of line. The left and right hand retrieval can be easily converted as per requirement with one way bearing.
- It is durable; ultra-light in weight and sturdy. The frame is made of CNC machined premium quality aluminum.
- Easily changeable retrieve from left to right hand and vice versa with one way bearing.
- Flexible and much needed stretch given to the system with advanced fiber composite drag system.
- Great strength to weight ratio with the aluminum construction.
- High-arbor design that creates less line stacking along with higher rates of retrieval.
- It has 1:1 gear ratio and includes 2 + 1 ball bearing.
- Changing from left to right hand retrieval is slightly tricky.
- Need to be careful with the fly line while setting the flying reel.
While purchasing the flying fish reel it is important to consider many aspects like its drag system, smoothness in retrieval and mechanism used in fishing. It is important that the line is picked efficiently. The market has many flying fish reels and for experienced anglers it is not a difficult task to choose the right reel.
However, this guide was carefully prepared by experts to help novice and beginners to pick the best fly fishing reels for the money with high end quality and excellent performance. Budget and right investment is very important and this guide has listed pros and cons with review to help you make the right decision.