If you are a fishing enthusiast and have been going on fishing trips as and when you find time from your busy schedule, swimbait rod might be a known term for you. But for those who are new in the field of fishing here is what a swimbait rod is and a guide that will help you to select the best swimbait rod available in the market.
*Below, you’ll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
What Is A Swimbait Rod?
A swimbait is said to be an artificial lure or bait made out of rubber or such similar material that significantly imitates the fish and lures it to the hook. These show tail-like movements in water to lure the fishes to it distinctively. They have somewhat swift and realistic movements to draw the attention of the fishes.
A Swimbait rod, on the other hand, is a strong, durable and heavyweight rod that can be used effectively to hold baits and fishes of 2 ounces or more at a time. These are hardy bait rods known for their high performance.
Things To Consider While Choosing A Swimbait Rod
There are a couple of things that need to be clarified before choosing the most suitable swimbait rod for you. They are:
- Which baits are on your mind, which is the weight of the bait, its size, and the desired actions?
- Do you wish to have billed or lipless bait?Are hooks or trebles present on the baits?
- Choose the rod depending on only a single or a maximum of two baits.
- What is the distance you want to consider for throwing the bait?
- What is the length of the line you intend to use?
- Which type of fishing reel do you prefer to use?
- Which level of water do you want to fish in?
- Finally, how much can you spend for the rod?
All this said and do you are ready to set foot on the fishing trip.
For small swimbaits a swimbait rod need not be used, it can be thrown with the help of any fishing rods. For topwater swimbaits, the preferred rod is a strong, fast soft tip and a strong hook, whereas for middle water swimbaits, moderate swimbait rods can be used effectively. The body should be hard and the rod capable of fast action.
How To Select Swimbait Rods?
There are some of the basic methods of selecting a swimbait rod. Beginning with a small swimbait is preferable and eventually, the weight and the size of the swim bait can be increased on the basis of the proficiency of the user. The smallest rod is about 7’ and the largest is 8’ or more.
These rods have weight ranges from 1 to 5 ounces as well as from 1 to 3 ounces or similar ranges. It is advisable to choose the one that has a higher range so that it can fit in appropriately for a number of additional features and makes it easier for the beginners to use it.
If you are a professional in swimbait fishing then there might be some of your personal favorites in terms of brands for the swimbait rods. But you should definitely sift through the features of these rods in order to make your selection even more customized and effective for the purpose.
Qualities A Swimbait Angler Should Inculcate In Himself
There are two basic qualities that a swimbait angler should nurture in them. They are:
- Focus: One has to stay focussed right till the end. If you are not being able to catch any fish for hours at a stretch, it is obvious that you will tend to be a little distracted. But let this not come in the way of you catching the biggest bass of your lifetime. Stay focussed no matter what.
- Have Patience: It is not necessary that of you have the best bait and the best technique you will catch the biggest fish. Sometimes all attempts fail and this is when you need to push yourself a little harder and try to stay focussed for a little longer.
Top 4 Best Swimbait Rod Reviews On The Market 2018
Below, you’ll find our more well researched reviews on top swimbait rods, you can click the links below provided which redirects to Amazon in order to know the current price.
1. Dobyns Rods FR 795SB - Power Fast Action Swimbait Rod
Dobyns Rods Fury Series are some of the best Swimbait fishing rods available at present. Its FR 695SB is the end of search or a number of swimbait anglers who are wishing to buy their next swimbait fishing rod. However you surely need to have a look at the price you can pay for your next new fishing rod as this one is a little high on the budget.
- The flexibility of the rod is commendable. The whole rod flexes to a large extend while throwing the bait, ensuring the fish is somewhat attached to the bait completely.
- There is hardly any chance of losing the fish due to the strong grip and strong hooks.
- Heavy and stout rod with good balancing ergonomics.
- It provides a perfect grip for the angler and ensures a great fishing experience with range of swimbaits.
- The swimbait fishing rod has been priced a little higher than the normal price thus making it somewhat beyond few people’s budget. It is not considered a value for money by some.
- The grip is strong but it is not cushioned which is considered as a flaw by a few individuals while choosing their swimbait rods.
2. Swimbait Fishing Rod – Denny Brauer By Ardent - Comparatively Cheap
This Ardent product is another very popular swimbait fishing rod available in the markets today. This is one of the most powerful fishing rods available today which can be used effectively for swimbait fishing at any levels of the water with ease. It complies with the strength and the skill of the users.
- It comes along with high performance cork grips. This ensures higher efficiency while fishing at any level by the angler.
- The Fuji Aluminum oxide line guides are sturdy enough and ensure that the person gets ample support while throwing the bait of different weights at different levels.
- IM8 Graphite construction makes the whole swimbait fishing rod a strong and durable one.
- Pac Bay Reel seat present in this swimbait rod makes sure that the lines do not get tangled at once.
- The product is a great value for money. The features it contains and the price to be paid for it is simply great.
- The strength of this swimbait rod altogether and its sensitivity is not too high as desirable.
- It is a little heavyweight compared to similar swimbait rods making it a little slow in action.
3. Dobyns Rods Champion Series 806HSB-LH - Highly Recommended For Swimbaits
This is another great product by Dobyns Rods. The champion series is known for its heavyweight and the fast action. This is one of the most easies to use swimbaits available in the markets these days.
- The long handle ensure greater reach for the swimbait as well as a better grip on the rod hence better performance altogether by the anglers.
- This is a fast action swimbait rod for surer targets and greater reach of the targets.
- The weight varies from 2-8 ounces giving the rod a better range altogether for swimbait fishing.
- It is a recommended rod for all sizes and forms of swimbait equally for beginners as well as professionals.
- The feel and the sensitivity of this rod are like no other making it a desirable product for a number of anglers.
- The casting and handling of the rod is easy and good for beginners.
- The swimbait rod is not as flexible and thus it makes it difficult to hold on to larger fishes such as bass.
- The fishing rod is overpriced for some given the features it possesses and the ones it lack.
4. Guide Select Swimbait Rod By Okuma - Best In Class Quality Assured
Okuma is another bestseller of fishing gears and accessories. This has been chosen by a number of anglers as their new swimbait fishing rod. It is mostly suitable for medium sized swimbait fishing and is capable of fishing on middle layers of waters effectively.
- It is a powerful rod which has appropriate treble making it capable of withstanding vibrations in relation to the swimbait movement and action.
- The length is good which ensure perfect long distance launching of the swimbait in lakes.
- Unidirectional Fibre Reinforcement (UFR) is present at the tip of the rod. This ensures that the rod can distribute the weight across the rod and ensure that it does not break due to heavyweight.
- The action of this swimbait rod is restricted to moderately fast.
- It can accommodate a wide range of lure from 1 to 6 ounces, opening more windows for catching a prey.
- The product is somewhat expensive given the limited features it possesses for swimbait fishing.
- It needs to be handled with care even though the UFR is provided thus it is a good buy mostly for professionals and is not suitable for beginners.
Choosing the correct Swimbait rod is not easy. You need to decide on a number of things prior to your selection to be able to obtain the best fit rod for your fishing trips. The budget you have in mind should also be taken into account. This guide will help you go through the features of the swimbait fishing rods and allow you to select the best swimbait rod for your next trip. Choose wisely and spend on only those rods which you think might be of use for long.